Drainage and flooding on a highway

Drainage and flooding on a highway

Report a drainage or flooding issue

The county council is responsible for the removal of surface water from the carriageway and footway as quickly as possible under normal weather conditions. 

Cleansing and maintenance of a private sewer outside of a property boundary is the responsibility of the sewerage undertaker.

In accordance with our Service Level Agreement, we will look at all reported issues within 28 days. However, where we are advised that this is urgent, inspections and resultant works will be prioritised.

What can you do to prevent a blockage or flood occurring?

Many blockages and other problems could be prevented through good practice.

  • do not dispose of fats or oils into the drain as they cool down and set as a hard scale
  • do not dispose of bulky sanitary items such as nappy liners into drains
  • do not apply permanent landscaping over inspection covers as they are needed for access to clear blockages
  • take care if you are considering planting deep-rooted trees such as willows, as the roots often enter sewers and drains
  • check to see whether your property insurance covers you for drainage problems
    • if not, it is possible to take out separate cover for this
    • it is important to check the amount of cover as you may not be insured for private pipes outside your property boundary

Issues with sewers

Please contact Severn Trent Water

Was this page useful?