Cost of living support

Cost of living support

Many Worcestershire residents are currently struggling with rising living costs. That’s why it is important to know what help and support is available to you.

We the council have made a search page to help you look for local organisations offering support. The search page is easy to use and can really help, you can find the groups closest to you by searching on your postcode: Community Services Directory.

Government advice

Website: GOV.UK cost of living

Visit the website above to find out what help is on hand with income and disability benefits, bills, childcare, housing and travel and when the cost of living payments are issued.

Website: GOV.UK help for households

We know people are worried, so the government is offering help for households. Visit the website above for more information and help on the cost of living.

BSL users

The video below is for our Deaf community of British Sign Language (BSL) users. The video gives information in BSL to help with managing money, the cost of living and where to go for any other support.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has also set up this YouTube channel for BSL users to make it is easier to find help.

I want to know what local support there is

Website: Worcestershire Advice Network

Find out what support is available for the Cost of Living locally, visit the local district area sites for more information:

Contact District Council

I am worried about money

Find out information about benefits, debt, and money advice. Managing finances such as bills, debts and borrowing. Please contact your local Citizens Advice. To find your local Citizen’s Advice please visit Worcestershire Advice Network.

We the council have made a search page to help you look for local organisations offering support, including support about money and debts. The search page is easy to use and can really help Community Services Directory.

I am worried about food

For help to find a local food bank visit:

For help and support with free school meals visit apply for Free School Meals.

For help in the school holidays for meals for children Ready Steady Worcestershire.

If you are pregnant or have a little one under 4 years old, you might be able to get Healthy Start vouchers. Watch the video below to learn more about how Healthy Start can help you and your family. Visit the Healthy Start page on the NHS website for more information and where you can use your Healthy Start vitamin vouchers.

Find out where I can use my Healthy Start vouchers

We the council have made a search page to help you look for local organisations offering support, this could be for help around food. The search page is easy to use and can really help Community Services Directory.

I am worried about the cost of my energy bills

If you are worried about your bills, we recommend you contact your energy supplier in the first instance, they will speak to you and can help. There is other help available to:

For help with energy bills, energy services, and to seek further help and advice visit Warmer Worcestershire.

For free and impartial advice to people about energy efficiency in the home, grants for heating & insulation and fuel switching advice visit Act On Energy

For support if you are struggling to meet the cost of water bill in the Severn Trent area visit Severn Trent Trust Fund.

Fire safety: A Home Fire Safety Visit is a FREE home safety visit that is tailored to an individual's needs.

The visit includes a home safety check to help reduce the risk of fire in the home, this can include the checking and fitting of smoke alarms where required. It can also include alarms suitable for those with a hearing impairment and giving advice on a fire escape plan.

Complete your FREE online Home Fire Safety Check

Age UK Free Home Energy Checks

Free Home Energy Checks and installation of energy saving equipment

Access free practical advice and support to make your home more energy efficient through the winter months. This includes the installation of free energy efficient equipment draught excluders and low energy efficiency light bulbs.  

If you are:

  • over 50
  • have a long-term health condition
  • have a disability
  • are a carer for someone else

then please contact your local Age UK to organise a visit:

Age UK Bromsgrove, Redditch and Wyre Forest: Call 01527 570490 or email (for Bromsgrove, Redditch and Wyre Forest residents)

Age UK Herefordshire and Worcestershire: Call 0800 008 6077 or email (for Wychavon residents)

Age UK Worcester and Malvern Hills: Call 01684 576655 or 01905 724294 or email (for Worcester and Malvern Hills residents)

I am struggling with the rise in energy prices, how can the Household Support Fund help me?

Help for households who are struggling with the cost of living, like the rise in energy prices and the cost of food. Visit Household Support Fund for more information.

I am struggling to stay warm at home where can I go

Worcestershire Libraries are part of the Warm Welcome Network which has places that can provide a warm welcome for those struggling to heat their homes. Visit Warm spaces in libraries for more information.

I want to work or learn

To find your local Job centre visit Jobcentre Plus

For more information on careers information and support, visit


Frequently asked questions

Information about the Cost of Living Payments 2023/24

Millions of UK households will receive a payment directly from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in 2023/24. For more information, please visit Cost of Living Payment

How can I reduce my energy use?

Find out the advice and guidance to help reduce energy use by visiting:

I have no credit left on my prepayment meter and no money to top it up, what can I do?

In the first instance we recommend contacting your energy supplier who could offer help and support.

Your local energy charity may be able to help, please visit Act on Energy for more information. Please note this is not an emergency support service, it may take a number of weeks for applications to be processed.

For emergency energy help and support, contact your local District Council

My energy company is saying I need to have a prepayment meter, which I don’t want, what can I do?

For further advice on the circumstances under which you could decline a pre payment meter see guidance from Citizens advice.

Ofgem offer support and advice on your bills and supplier, visit energy advice for households

My heating is broken, and I can’t afford to get it repaired, is there any scheme to help me?

Find Out what help and support is available to help you fix your heating by contacting Act on Energy 

My cooker, fridge or washing machine is broken and I can’t afford to replace it, is there any support for these items?

There may be schemes available through your local Citizens Advice supported by the Household Support Fund. Citizen's Advice may also be able to signpost you to any local charities.

To find your local Citizen’s Advice please visit Worcestershire Advice Network

How do I find a credit union?

credit union may be able to help with flexible payments.

I’m concerned about my housing situation or rental property?

Each Local council in Worcestershire offers a housing options service which provides housing advice. The service is for anyone requiring housing advice, experiencing homelessness or threatened with homelessness. See housing and homelessness for more information.

I’m concerned about the damp and mould in my property?

For further advice and support with home conditions:

I’m worried about paying for my prescription and dental treatment charges

If you have a low income, the NHS Low Income Scheme could help you pay for:

  • NHS prescription charges
  • NHS dental treatment charges
  • the cost of sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
  • the cost of travelling to receive NHS treatment
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports (check with your hospital for their arrangements for supplying NHS wigs)

How much help you get depends on your weekly income and necessary outgoings, plus any savings or investments you have at the time you apply.

To apply please visit NHS Low Income Scheme

Was this page useful?