Report drainage and flooding on a highway
Report an issue with surface water or flooding.
We are responsible for the removal of surface water from the carriageway and footways. Action will be taken as quickly as possible under normal weather conditions.
Report issues with:
- drains and gullies
- kerb drainage
- linear drainage
- verge drainage
- culvert or trash screen
- other flooding issues
Different type of drainage explained
Drain or gulley
Culvert or trash screen
In accordance with our Service Level Agreement, we will look at all reported issues within 28 days. However, where we are advised that this is urgent, inspections and resultant works will be prioritised.
Do not report
Do not report issues with sewers, this is managed by Severn Trent Water.
Cleansing and maintenance of a private sewer outside of a property boundary is the responsibility of the sewerage undertaker.
What you can do to prevent a blockage or flood occurring
Many blockages and other problems could be prevented through good practice:
- do not dispose of fats or oils into the drain as they cool down and set as a hard scale
- do not dispose of bulky sanitary items such as nappy liners into drains
- do not apply permanent landscaping over inspection covers as they are needed for access to clear blockages
- take care if you are considering planting deep-rooted trees such as willows, as the roots often enter sewers and drains
Check to see whether your property insurance covers you for drainage problems:
- if not, it is possible to take out separate cover for this
- it is important to check the amount of cover as you may not be insured for private pipes outside your property boundary