Before you consider a care home

Before you consider a care home

Find out all of the care options available in Worcestershire to meet your needs or the needs some someone else.

Before you consider a care home you may wish to explore other options which may suit your needs.  

Support in the community

There are many types of support available in your community you can find out more here:

Support at home

Many people also find that having care and support in their own homes is the best option to suit them. 

Adult Social Care can help you to consider all of your care and support options which are suitable for you and arrange for an assessment of your needs

What are the care home options?

Care Homes (personal care only)

Residential care homes provide care and support to people who can no longer live in their own home.

They can:

  • support people who need specialist care like dementia
  • offer short-term services like respite care

Nursing Homes

Nursing homes provide:

  • personal and nursing care
  • nursing staff on duty 24 hours a day

Supported Living 

Supported Living is where a person with a disability gets the support they need to live in a home they own or rent. 

The level of support provided varies and is tailored to individual needs.

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care offers housing for people aged 55 and over. It gives you the opportunity to live in a home of your own with 24/7 support on hand, should you need it

The level of support provided varies between services and is tailored to individual needs.

Paying for care and support

Social care and support services are usually paid for either:

If you are eligible to receive adult social care support on a long-term basis, we will talk to you some more, to complete a financial assessment to work out how much, if anything, you will have to contribute towards the cost of care yourself.

Find out more about paying for care

If you need support from medically trained assistants to help you look after yourself, and you have a complex, long term condition, you may need NHS continuing healthcare to provide your social care. This type of social care is free of charge.

Arranging a Care home

  • if you have been assessed as needing care with housing and you are eligible for funding for example you have funds of less than £23,250, our social workers will arrange for your care through our Brokerage Team 
  • if you have not been assessed care with housing and you are eligible for funding; for example, you have funds of less than £23,250, contact us to have a discussion about your needs. 

Read more information about who is eligible for support

Finding a Care home

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care in England.

They keep a list of the care homes and give each care home a rating. You can use the rating information to help you to make a decision about which care home would be suitable for you.

If you are not eligible for funding for example, you have funds of over £23,250 and are self-funding, you can choose to find your own care at home independently.

Care choices has details of all care providers in Worcestershire, along with some hints and tips of what to look for when arranging your own care. 

What to do if you are unhappy with your care provider

If you are unhappy with your care provider, it is best to have a conversation with your care provider first to see if your concerns can be resolved. 

If this is not possible you may wish to submit a complaint. This can be done directly to the provider as each care provider has their own complaints process. 

If you are not satisfied with the response from the care provider or you do not wish to complain directly to your care provider you can do this through Worcestershire County Council Adult Social Care Compliments, Comments and Complaints

It is also important to discuss your concerns with your allocated social worker, if you have one, so they are aware and able to best support you. 

Moving between care homes

Continuity of care is when you receive care and support from one council in England, and you move home to another area without a break in your care.

If you’re moving to a different area

Let us know you are moving away from Worcestershire so that we can start the continuity of care process.

You can contact adult social care services to start this process.

We will send your new council your:

  • care and support plan
  • carer’s support plan if they are moving with you

Your new council will talk to you before you move about the support you and your carer may need. They may visit you in your new home to see if your needs have changed after moving.

If you’re moving to Worcestershire

Speak to your current council who will start the continuity of care process.

They will make us aware that you are moving to Worcestershire as part of the transfer process.

Useful links

Was this page useful