Household Support Fund

Household Support Fund

Support is available for those households who are struggling with the cost of living.

Support for those most in need

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) Household Support Fund (HSF) will provide help to those most in need like:

  • families with children of all ages
  • pensioners
  • unpaid carers
  • care leavers
  • people with disabilities

Who would otherwise struggle with energy bills, food and water bills.

The Household Support Fund is open from 1 April 2024 to 30 September 2024.

Help that is available through the HSF

The Household Support Fund maybe able to help with:

  • financial support toward current energy and water costs
  • financial support toward energy and water debts only
  • help to repair, service and replace broken boilers and heating systems
  • support with food costs or direct provision of food
  • support with wider essentials

What the HSF will not help with:

  • payment of mortgage costs
  • to pay off debts

For advice with your finances please contact Citizen’s Advice. To find your local Citizen’s Advice please visit Worcestershire Advice Network

Apply for the HSF

Act on Energy give support for energy costs across Worcestershire. 

You have to:

  • be a permanent Worcestershire resident
  • have a combined overall household income of no more than £31,000 (before tax)
  • have no household savings 
  • have someone at home has some form of vulnerability e.g. disability, long term health condition, unmanageable debt.

To apply for energy support, please visit:


Pensioners on pension credit should have had a one-off payment already. If you have just started receiving pension credit, you will receive a voucher in the coming weeks, and you do not need to apply. This will be issued to you in the form of a voucher directly by the county council.

Pensioner, Carer and Disabled households

Support is available in the form of a £75 cash voucher for pensioners, carers of any age, people with a disability, or long-term health condition of any age. Eligibility criteria applies, for more information please visit:

Additional information

Applying for someone

We want to help as many vulnerable people as possible. Sometimes this means a support worker or person helping you can apply on your behalf.

Affect to benefits

This support is available to all who qualify and will not affect your benefits. It is also available to people not on benefits where other criteria are met.

Multiple applications

The HSF helps people every year, you may have applied before and had help, this does not mean you would not be automatically refused help again.

No recourse to public funds

The fund allows us to provide a basic safety net support to an individual, regardless of their immigration status, if there is a genuine need that does not arise solely from destitution, for example if:

  • there are community care needs
  • they have serious health problems
  • there is a risk to a child’s wellbeing

Additional support

I need help with food and other essentials

Help with food and other essentials may be available, contact your local District Council  for more information.

For help to find a local food bank visit:

You may have a child who attends school and you don’t get a lot of money, for more information about Free School Meals visit: Apply for Free School Meals.

Food vouchers for new parents

Healthy Start is a Government Scheme that provides weekly vouchers to parents and can help you if you’re pregnant or have a young child under four. These vouchers can be spent on milk, fruit and vegetables and infant formula milk at your local shops and supermarkets, as well as offering coupons for free vitamins too.

For more information about the scheme, visit Healthy Start.

Funded by local government
Was this page useful?