8 tips for eating well
- base your meals on starchy carbohydrates, choose wholegrain high fibre varieties where possible
- eat at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables every day
- aim for at least two portions of sustainably sourced fish a week, one of which should be oily
- cut down on saturated fat and sugar
- eat less than 6 grams (around 1 teaspoon) of salt each day
- get active and maintain a healthy weight
- keep hydrated and aim for six to eight glasses of fluid each day
- don't skip breakfast
The Eatwell Guide shows the proportions in which different groups of foods are needed in order to have a well-balanced and healthy diet, for more information visit Assets Publishing Service - Eatwell Guide.
Develop and maintain healthy eating habits
Developing and maintaining healthy eating habits helps avoid weight gain and supports weight loss and weight loss maintenance, here are some healthy eating habits to consider:
- eat breakfast
- plan your meals in advance
- don’t food shop when you are hungry
- choose nutritional snacks of up to 100 calories
- where possible, eat meals slowly with others, sitting at a table
- use smaller plates with a patterned rim
- recognise and respond to your feeling of fullness
- avoid finishing off your children’s unfinished food
- avoid grazing during the day
Support for healthy eating
Whether you're trying to lose weight, get in shape or just live a healthier life, eating well has lots of benefits. From improving your health to saving you money, there are lots of reasons to eat well. You can still enjoy the foods you love, by making some small changes and food swaps to help you cut back.
Your health matters. There has never been a better time to kickstart your health. Better Health has a range of tools and support to help - find what works for you. Let's do this! Start your journey to better health and download the free NHS weight loss plan to help you start healthier eating habits, be more active and start losing weight.
The plan is broken down into 12 weeks so you can:
- set weight loss goals
- use the BMI calculator to customise your plan
- plan your meals
- make healthier food choices
- get more active and burn more calories
- record your activity and progress
Don’t worry, the app makes it easy for you - just take it one week at a time. Let’s make "one day" today!
To download the app or to find out more visit NHS Better Health
If you care for a person with a learning disability, they may need help and support to stay a healthy weight: visit NHS Choices - Managing weight with a learning disability
Foodbanks are non-profit-making organisations that provide food parcels to people in crisis that don't have money to buy food. There are 11 foodbanks in Worcestershire, the majority of which are part of the Trussell Trust which is a national Christian organisation. Other foodbanks in Worcestershire operate independently with the support of church and community links.
Healthy Start is a Government Scheme that provides weekly vouchers to eligible parents and can help you if you’re pregnant or have a young child under four. These vouchers can be spent on milk, fruit and vegetables and infant formula milk at your local shops and supermarkets, as well as offering coupons for free vitamins too.
- Healthy Start - to find where you can use your Healthy Start vitamin vouchers please visit our Healthy Start directory and choose your district
Other useful tips
Lifestyle Advisor service
The Lifestyle Advisor service can help you make positive changes to your lifestyle that can improve your health and wellbeing. For more information on the service: Lifestyle Advisor service.
Lunch clubs give people who may be elderly or feel isolated the opportunity to get out of the house and enjoy a meal in the company of others.
Meals on wheels
Meals on wheels services across Worcestershire are run by private companies and not the local authority. There are meals on wheels options to suit a range of budgets.
Visit Change4Life - Recipes for finding recipes or download NHS Easy Meals app.
You can also join Change4Life to receive free healthy snacking pack and get money-off vouchers and stickers for the kids. By joining you will also receive emails including healthy eating tips, tasty recipes, fun activities for kids, offers and lots more! For more information visit Change4Life - Eat well .
Eat4Cheap: take a look at the NHS Choices - 20 tips to eat well for less for useful tips.
If you are pregnant: take a look at the NHS Choices - Have a healthy diet in pregnancy site for advice and information.