Report a safeguarding concern about an adult

Report a safeguarding concern about an adult

What to do if you think an adult is being abused or is at risk of abuse.

This page gives information on when to report a safeguarding concern, how to report a concern and what will happen when you report a concern.

What to do in an emergency

Emergency: If you think someone is in immediate danger and / or requires urgent medical attention phone 999.  

How to report the abuse of an adult

  • to report a crime or potential crime to the Police you can phone the non-emergency number 101 

To report a safeguarding concern please call 01905 768053

If you would like safeguarding advice, please phone the Adult Safeguarding Team on 01905 843189 (note this number does not accept referrals) 

Professionals can complete an online form to report concerns about abuse or neglect.

Our Help in a Crisis page has information of how and when to seek support out of normal working hours. 

What happens when a safeguarding concern is reported?

When a safeguarding concern is reported, the safeguarding team will make a decision on whether a safeguarding enquiry is required to establish whether any action is needed to keep the person safe.  

If the enquiry finds that action is needed, then a safeguarding plan will be put in place. 

Adult Safeguarding Policies and Procedures

Chapter 14 in the Care and support statutory guidance - GOV.UK sets out the safeguarding responsibilities of local services who must work together to safeguard adults in a way that supports them in making choices and having control about how they want to live.  

The Worcestershire Safeguarding Adults Board (see below) has developed policies and procedures which set out how local agencies should respond to safeguarding concerns. 

View the West Midlands Adult Safeguarding Policy and Procedures

What if Safeguarding concerns have been raised about me?

The Adult Safeguarding Team will contact you to ask about the concern and what you would like to happen.

They will ask who you would like to be involved, whether you have support or whether you need an independent advocate to help you explain what you want to happen.

You will be told whether a safeguarding enquiry will be undertaken and if so, what will happen next. 

What will happen if the safeguarding concerns are reported about someone else?

The Adult Safeguarding Team will contact you to ask you about your concerns.

The team will need to establish whether the person you are concerned about is able to make a decision about what they would like to happen or whether they need somebody to support them.

If you tell us that you are worried about someone being abused, you may not always be told all the details of what action is taken. This is because the council has a duty to keep information about people safe. 

What happens if I have already been in touch? 

If you have reported a safeguarding concern and you have not been told what is happening, please phone the safeguarding team on 01905 843189.  

You can ask to speak to a manager if you are unhappy with the response you receive.   

Reporting concerns about quality of care

We would normally expect you to contact your care provider to discuss your concerns in the first instance as each care provider has their own complaints process. 

If you are not satisfied with the response from the care provider or you do not wish to complain directly to your care provider you can submit a comment, compliment or complaint to Worcestershire County Council. 

Find out more about quality assurance in adult social care.

Was this page useful?