On this page you will find information on what is Section 278 Agreement and the guidance documents to help you with the application form.
A Section 278 Agreement is a section of the Highways Act 1980 that allows developers to enter into a legal agreement with the Local Highway Authority to make alterations or improvements to a public highway.
If you would like to apply for the Section 278 Agreement, please follow these steps:
Step 1: Read our guidance documents
We have written detailed guidance documents on Section 278 Agreement which you may find useful:
- Streetscape Design Guide document (please see section 6, pages 38-44((PDF)
- Highways Specification document - updated February 2021 (PDF)
- Worcestershire County Council Standard Details Part 1 document (PDF)
- Worcestershire County Council Standard Details Part 2 document (PDF)
We have also created a development management process chart which shows the stages from the pre-application discussions with the local planning authority to when the works begin on site. This chart may be helpful of understanding the process from the beginning to the end:
Step 2: Apply
The form sets out the details and information required to enable us to process the application.
Send the application form with the required documents to: HighwayTechSub@worcestershire.gov.uk or alternatively to the following address: Section 38/278 Technician, Network Control, Worcestershire County Council, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester, WR5 2NP
Please note that commencement on site will only be permitted when:
- the agreement is signed
- all technical details have been approved
- all necessary fees have been paid
- street work permits are in place for the work
For further information regarding Section 278 Agreements, please email HighwayTechSub@worcestershire.gov.uk or call 01905 844053.