Essential maintenance to our online payments system

Third party top up fees

What is a third party top up?

A person who needs care may sometimes choose a place to live that costs more than the amount of their Personal Budget. A personal Budget is the amount of money the Council has assessed will be needed to meet the person's care and support needs. Where someone chooses a place to live that costs more than their Personal Budget an arrangements will need to be agreed put in place for paying the additional cost.

This additional cost is known as a ‘top-up’ payment. It is the difference between the Personal Budget the Council can provide and the actual cost of the care home. When this happens the local authority must arrange for the person to be housed in the place they have chosen, but only if a third party is willing to meet the additional costs.

Key points to note:

  • the top up is an amount paid by a third party in addition to the contribution the person receiving care has been assessed to pay
  • the third party must be able to afford and continue payment of the top up
  • there is an application form that must be completed and signed by the third party

What you will need for the top up to be agreed

  • evidence from the third party to show they can afford the top up from their income or savings
  • the third party top up agreement must be signed 


Adult Contact Team
Telephone: 01905 768053