SEN Care Personal Budget (The Local Offer)

Who can have a Care Personal Budget?

You can have a care personal budget without having an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan Personal Budget.

When a child or young person is eligible the keyworker will discuss the options available for personal budgets including the use of direct payments.

What can it pay for?

Personal budgets must be used to support the outcomes identified in the Child in Need or EHC plan. It can only be spent on what is agreed in the care and support plan in supporting the person to meet their eligible social care needs.

How much do I get and who decides?

An assessment of need is undertaken. An assessment will be carried out with the family, using information from other professionals as appropriate. It is the impact the disability has on daily life that is a key part of the assessment.

The Child or Young Persons Assessment is undertaken by a social worker. From this assessment a recommendation is made as to the level of support a child or young person needs and what is to be achieved by this support. A personal budget can be requested to meet the assessed need. However if there are universal services available that can meet the assessed need this will be offered in place of a personal budget. The management structure decides the level of support required to meet the assessed need and will allocate funding according to that need.

For post 18 personal budget following assessment the amount is agreed by the Resource Allocation System (RAS) this generates an amount that is based on the assessment and the estimates cost of meeting assessed needs. For more information see Personal budgets and direct payments for adults page.

You may wish to contact the SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) for help and advice. They are independent professionals who can explain the processes and support you through it.

Help to manage a personal budget

Penderels Trust provides a full direct payment support service. This covers all aspects of managing your direct payment and most of these services are provided under contract with Worcestershire County Council if you receive community care funding for your social care. 

Since March 2015 the Council's default and preferred position is to give every direct payment recipient a pre-paid bank account (Adult Social Care only). Consideration will be given for Direct Payment to be paid into an 'old style' bank account, if this is what an individual wants. The Council will agree this providing if this meets the individual's needs and keeps them safe and well.

Useful contacts and information

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

Department for Education

Council for Disabled Children