Who can have a Health Personal Budget?
You may have a Personal Health Budget if your child is assessed as having continuing health care needs (complex needs which cannot be met by universal or specialist health services). This would be to meet needs in an agreed package of care which cannot be met by services already commissioned by the Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs).
You can have a personal Health budget without having an EHC Plan Personal Budget.
A child's needs are assessed as meeting the eligibility criteria set out in the government's National Framework for Children and Young People's Continuing Care (0 to18). For more information visit:
For young adults aged 18 – 25, the national framework for NHS continuing healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care applies. For more information visit:
- GOV.UK - National framework for NHS continuing healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care (opens in a new window)
- NHS England - Personal health budgets for children, young people and families (opens in a new window)
What can it pay for?
It must be used to meet the assessed needs and provide the level of support identified in the care package. It cannot be used for other purposes.
How much do I get and who decides?
When a child or young person is assessed as meeting the eligibility criteria set out in the National Framework then the key worker will discuss the options available including the use of a personal health budget.
Following a health assessment and completion of a report recommending a package of care, the CCG will agree the support needed to meet the additional care needs of the individual and will allocate funding, which can be in the form of a personal health budget if requested.
You may wish to contact the SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) for help and advice. They are independent professionals who can explain the processes and support you through it.
SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)
- website: SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone: 01905 768153
Department for Education
- GOV.UK - Special educational needs and disability – a guide for parents and carers (opens in a new window)
- GOV.UK - Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years (opens in a new window)
Council for Disabled Children
- Council for Disabled Children - Making it Personal - Family Guide to Personalisation, Personal Budgets and Education, Health and Care Plans (opens in a new window)