Try out and test our new website!

Housework and gardening

Being able to clean your home and launder clothes and keeping your home and garden well maintained can sometimes be difficult, especially if you have a health or physical condition. A well-maintained home can help you to stay in better health and avoid accidents, whilst the garden is often a sanctuary for many people and can help with mental wellbeing.

Some things you can do to help with cleaning and gardening include:

  • use your Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance to hire a cleaner or gardener; always ask for references
  • keep your home free from clutter, the less you have to move when cleaning, the less tiring it will be; you will also reduce your risk of falling
  • if you are worried about falls, use long handled dusters instead of overreaching or climbing on furniture
  • try using a light weight vacuum cleaner

If you are struggling to keep up with jobs that need doing around the home and garden, you may be able to get help from some voluntary organisations for smaller jobs. There may be a small charge or you might be asked for a donation.

For larger jobs you may need to hire a tradesman. Always check previous work from testimonials, ratings on the internet or personal recommendations from family and friends. If you are worried about hiring someone you don't know, you can get further advice at Worcestershire Regulatory Services (opens in new window).

The Gardeners Guild (opens in a new window) website has a postcode search to find local registered gardeners.

The Gardening for the Disabled Trust (opens in new window) provides grants to people in the UK to enable them to continue gardening despite age, illness or disability. It helps with adaptations, the cost of tools and raised beds as well as advice and information on different aids and techniques. Before applying you will need to join their gardening club and have a letter from your Doctor or other professional confirming your disability or health condition. To apply: Write a letter with detailed information about the work required including estimates of cost and materials. If you will need labour also include two individual quotations. Your letter should be sent to: The Secretary, PO Box 285, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 9JD. Applications are considered monthly by the Trust's committee and will be followed up by letter or telephone.

If you live in a Housing Association home or rent from a private landlord, then they are responsible for keeping the home maintained and you should contact them directly for anything that needs doing.

See also

Arranging care at home