Try out and test our new website!

Care leavers and access to the care records

Accessing your care records

The UK GDPR gives you the right to obtain a copy of your personal data via a Subject Access Request (SAR). You do not have to give a reason why you want to view your files and can’t be denied access if you don’t want to disclose your reason. Although you are likely to be offered guidance from a Social Worker or Personal Advisor about accessing your records, you do not have to meet with them .

However it can be helpful to have someone available to provide emotional support and help to explain things that may be difficult to understand in the records. 

A SAR will only give you a copy of records and these may be heavily redacted (have information blacked out), there will be no explanation except that to explain any codes. The only information you will receive will be about you, other peoples names and personal data will be redacted. 

To apply for access to your records you need to contact:

The Information Access Team
Corporate Information Management Unit
Worcestershire County Council
County Hall
Spetchley Road
Telephone: 01905 845571

They will advise you how to apply and what identification you will need. Once your request is accepted the timescale is one calendar month, which can be extended to three calendar months for complex or volumous requests, for the Local Authority to respond to your written request.