Worcestershire Local Outbreak Response Teams (LORT) unable to receive emails on Sunday 19 September

Concerns about your ability to cope at home

Changes in our mental or physical health can make it harder to take care of ourselves and our home. This can be a short term issue or a long term difficulty.

Recognising the need for help is not always easy, especially if your ability to cope has changed slowly over months or years. You might also be afraid that asking for help will mean losing your independence or home.

Whenever possible, the Council will support you to continue to live at home.

We will arrange for someone to talk to you about any difficulties you are having and the options available to help. The support might be short term (e.g. to help you to sort out belongings if your home has become full of possessions) or ongoing (e.g. daily help for you to get washed and dressed).

We can also discuss equipment that might help you manage better at home. It is up to you whether you want to accept the support available to you.

Concerns for someone else

If you are worried about someone's ability to cope, talk to them about it.

A person may give the impression that they are coping, but this is not always the case. Explain to the person what you are worried about and let them tell you how they are managing.

If you are still worried, encourage them to contact the Adult Contact Team.

Please remember that if they have capacity to make decisions, we would not force them to accept services. There may be an exception where the person's preferred lifestyle is causing a problem for other people.

The behaviours that may indicate someone isn’t coping are things like neglecting personal hygiene, health or surroundings and include behaviour such as hoarding.


Adult Contact Team
Telephone: 01905 768053

See also

Arranging care at home

Assistive technology