Try out and test our new website!

How to request a School Crossing Patrol

Any request for a new School Crossing Patrol (SCP) must come from the Head Teacher of the school and and have the support of the local elected Member.

Contact your local school

Once a request is received, the crossing site will be checked using rules set out by Road Safety GB (opens in a new window)

These rules include:

  • passing a risk assessment
  • meeting a pedestrian and vehicle count
  • other following factors may also be taken into account
    • ability to see clearly
    • junctions
    • speed of traffic
    • accident data
    • traffic flow
    • age of pedestrians

School Crossing Patrols will not be given to areas where there is already a crossing, in traffic calmed areas or on roads where speeds are faster than 35mph.