Adjustments to your home
Making adjustments to your home can support you to continue to live independently at home without the need for further care and support.
Types of adaptations in your home
There are various types of adaptations which can support you to continuing living independently at home these can be small adaptations such as:
- grab rails around the bath, shower, toilet or elsewhere
- additional stair rails
- small steps to doors
These adaptations usually cost less than £1,000 and can be installed relatively quickly by a friend or relative or a local handyman.
Building work adaptions to your home
You may want to consider undertaking significant building works to change the layout of your property. This could include:
- widening doorways so that you can use a wheelchair
- replacing your bath or shower unit with a level-access shower
- adding a downstairs toilet or bathroom or bedroom so that you don't have to keep using the stairs
- installing low-level kitchen units
To make these changes you will need advice from qualified builders on what to do.
If you currently rent your home you will need permission from your landlord before making any changes.
Making adaptations to your home
Age UK has information to download about financial and practical support for home improvement and repairs.
The Worcestershire Promoting Independent Living Service (PILS) is funded by a partnership of the District Councils in Worcestershire and the County Council. The service is provided by Millbrook Healthcare Ltd which offers advice and practical assistance.
Occupational Therapy in Worcestershire is provided by NHS Herefordshire and Worcestershire HealthCare Trust. For more information about the service please visit the Occupational Therapy website.
To find local companies that could help with adaptions to your home visit our Here2Help Community Services Directory
If you are not sure what adaptations you need Worcestershire County Council may be able to help. However, there will be limits to what we can do. Visit eligibility and assessments.
Paying for adaptations to your home
You and your family may be able to pay for the adaptations you need privately, this will generally be quicker and give you more choice and control.
If you need financial support Worcestershire County Council may be able to help. However, there will be limits to what we can do. Visit eligibility and assessments.
For larger adaptations you may be eligible for support from Disabled Facilities Grant if you're disabled or have a long-term health condition and need to make changes to your home.
This grant could be used to:
- widen doors and install ramps
- improve access to rooms and facilities - such as stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
- provide a heating system suitable for your needs
- adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
You can apply for this grant through the district council in which you live:
- Disability Funding Grants - Worcester City Council
- Disabled Facilities Grants – Redditch Borough Council
- Disabled Facilities Grants - Bromsgrove District Council
- Disabled facilities grants (DFG) - Wyre Forest District Council
- Disabled Facilities Grants - Wychavon District Council
- Disabled Facilities Grants - Malvern Hills District Council