Things you can do to help yourself
Tackling loneliness and the positive things you can do alone.
Loneliness can have a negative effect on your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing, so it is important to stay physically and creatively active.
- plan your week to do something you enjoy - Take time to plan ahead and include a pastime that makes you feel good. This can include doing something creative, going outside for a walk, reading, gardening, cooking, or listening to music
- spend time outdoors - Going outside regularly, be it in your garden or a walk to the park is a great way of feeling better. It can help you feel more connected to nature and your neighbourhood, enjoying the natural world and your local environment
- challenge negative thoughts - When you’re feeling lonely it can be easy to fall into a negative mindset. It is important to challenge negative thoughts, take a step back and consider them objectively from a new perspective. Often it can be helpful to write these thoughts down
- look after yourself - Prioritise looking after yourself, making sure you are eating healthily, keeping hydrated, being as active as you can and sleeping well
What can I do if I’m a young person feeling lonely?
As a young person there are some key things you can do and tools you can use to feel less lonely and more positive.
Joining a club or group can be a great way to meet new people – check out the groups and activities for young people page to find out more.
Childline has lots of fantastic resources on making friends, bouncing back from bullying, being assertive, coping with anxiety and taking care of yourself.
- you can get support from others who are feeling the same on message boards
- you can talk to a Childline counsellor for support. Call 0800 1111 - It’s important to tell someone you trust how you feel
- you can consider tracking how you feel by writing down your thoughts and seeing what makes you feel better or worse in a mood journal or art box
- you can find new ways to feel better and boost your mood
- you can find advice about building confidence and self-esteem