If you wish to you change your name
Check that your name change will be accepted by the following people:
- your employer
- any institute or professional body of which you are a member
- your country of origin, if you are a foreign national living in the UK
- the relevant authorities of the country in which you are living, if you are a UK national living overseas
If you change your name, many official bodies (such as banks and building societies) will require an official 'Change of Name Deed' also known as a deed poll to accept your new name.
Note: We no longer offer a change of name deed (Deed Poll) service for anyone under the age of 18.
There are some restrictions about what you can change your name to and why.
You may not change your name:
- in order to commit an illegal act such as fraud
- to something that is vulgar, offensive, blasphemous or unsuitable
- to imply or include a title such as Sir, Lord, Lady, Duke or Duchess
- to something that includes symbols or numbers
Documents that may be required
When you phone to book your appointment with us you will be advised as to which documents you will need to bring to your appointment. All documents must be originals and not photocopies. They may include one or more of the following:
- birth certificate showing the name which is to be changed
- marriage certificate
- decree absolute
- late spouse's death certificate
- single application is £50 (this includes indefinite storage in our secure vault)
- additional copies are £10 each
Make a payment
If you have been asked to make a payment, please use the link below.
When using the online system, please add the reference code you will have been sent via email before adding the payment option to the basket.