Phase 4: The Ketch to Powick
Phase 4 is the final phase of the scheme to fully dual the A4440 Southern Link Road (SLR) from Junction 7 of the M5 to the Powick Roundabout.
This final phase of work (which began in March 2019) will see the stretch of road between the Ketch and Powick roundabouts (Temeside Way) fully dualled and includes:
- Construction of a new 1.9km road to the south of the current carriageway
- Building of an additional bridge and viaduct next to the current Carrington Bridge and Powick Common Viaduct
- Construction of a new cycle/footbridge over Hams Way, to the west of Powick Roundabout,
- A new, wider cycle and footpath to the North of the current road
- Introduction of a new fully lit underpass to enable crossing near the Ketch roundabout
- Capacity improvements to both the Powick and Ketch roundabouts.
The Department for Transport (DfT) approved £55 million of funding towards completion of the works at the start of March 2019. Further funding for the scheme will come from developer contributions.