Parent carers have told us that they would like information on specialist training opportunities which may be available for them.
We have produced this list of training providers, most of them are run by outside providers and are not provided by the council. We have made every attempt to ensure all information held here is accurate, but we cannot accept any responsibility for third party services. Their inclusion here is for your information only and does not represent endorsement or recommendation by the council.
Some of the courses have a cost associated with them and we have tried to indicate when this is the case, though sometimes they are free depending on your personal circumstances.
If you find that any of the links don't work, or you know of a training provider which isn't here, please let us know by email email@example.com
Adult learning from Worcestershire County Council
Worcestershire County Council run several adult learning courses for parents and parent carers. There is a small cost for these courses unless you meet certain entry criteria. There is a mixture of online and face to face courses available and new courses are being added all the time.
Courses which maybe of interest running during September to December 2021
- Communicating with Deaf or Hearing-Impaired people (opens in a new window)
- SEND Strategies for Positive Behaviour (opens in a new window)
- SEND Managing Mindfulness for Parents of children with SEND (opens in a new window)
- Signalong workshop for adults (opens in a new window)
Other organisations that provide courses
- The National Autistic Society offer online training courses (opens in a new window), some modules are free but most have a small cost
- The Curly Hair Project (opens in a new window) offer a number of courses across the country (Dudley and Bristol being the closest to Worcestershire) and some are offered as webinars. There is a cost for the training
- Independent Parental Special Education Advice (opens in a new window) (known as IPSEA). They provide online and face to face training on the SEND legal framework for parents and carers, professionals and other organisations. There is a charge for their courses.
Starting Well Partnership
The Starting Well Partnership offers two different courses for parents and carers of children on the Autistic Spectrum and/or with language delay. They give you the opportunity to meet new people who may be experiencing similar issues and develop your knowledge. The courses are available across the county.
Incredible Years is a group-based programme for parents with children age 2 to 6 years.
Solihull Approach – Understanding Your Child (ASD) is another group-based programme for parents and carers of older children.
NEW The Solihull Approach Online parenting
The Solihull Approach online parenting courses are a series of NICE approved (opnes in a new window) resources for parents and carers who want to learn more about sensitive and effective parenting and building a positive relationship with their child. Parents are also helped to understand how they can influence their relationship with their child through play.
There are a variety of FREE courses available including ‘Understanding your child with additional needs’. If you care for a child with a physical or learning disability or who may have autistic traits this course is for you.
NEW Autism West Midlands
Autism West Midlands has launched free Autism and Anxiety online training workshops for parent/carers of autistic children or children waiting to be assessed for autism. To find out more and book onto the training please the Autism West Midlands website (opens in an new window)