Phase 1 A38 BREP improvements
An overview and explanation of completed phase 1 works.
Work on Phase 1 of the improvements was completed in Spring 2021. Works included:
Barley Mow Lane - work has been completed to introduce a dedicated right turn lane for A38 traffic wishing to turn into Barley Mow Lane
M5 J4 - the main construction work at this location has now been completed:
- the preparatory work included the removal of vegetation and trees before the bird nesting season on both sides of the A38 on Highway and Highways England land
- replacement hedges and trees have been planted
- the main works included the widening of both the northbound and southbound sections of the A38 Halesowen Road, to increase capacity on and off the M5 Junction 4 roundabout
- footways have been repositioned to accommodate the wider carriageway and verges will be widened for greater visibility
Image shows the works completed on the M5
M42 J1 - the main construction works started in July 2020, and include:
- widening of both the A38 northbound exit and southbound approach to the roundabout
- a new service road for properties facing the A38 southbound, offering improved access for vehicles
Below is a map showing the location of the improvements as part of the A38 Bromsgrove Improvement Scheme. There are three parts to this scheme, improvements to Barley Mow Lane, improvements to the A38/M5 Junction 4 and A38/M42 Junction 1.
Delivered in partnership with Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership, Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership and Highways England.