Pump Street, Worcester
Image: artist impression of Pump Street, Worcester
Improvements are being made to Pump Street in Worcester, as part of the wider Town Centre Improvement Programme.
The main scheme objectives are
- improvement of street aesthetics.
- improvement of footfall, time spent in the street and encouraging of non-vehicular transport.
- improvement of safety for non-vehicular transport.
These will be achieved by
- updating the paving and other materials to fit in with recent works completed in the city
- replacement of poor quality street trees with new ones
- offering better separation during delivery times, for example bollards to protect pedestrians from delivery vehicle routes
- by using different coloured and textured paving, to differentiate areas for the sole use of non-vehicular traffic
When the work will commence
The works will commence week beginning Monday 22 June 2020. The works are programmed to last for 12 weeks, throughout which Pump Street will be closed to vehicles.
The road will be closed in phased sections which will have different implications for deliveries to businesses. Details of the phasing can be found below.
The closures will be to vehicles only. The street will always remain open to pedestrians.
From 22 June 2020 for 2 weeks Pump Street closed between Friar Street/New Street and The Shambles – access to The Shambles will be unaffected.
From 6 July 2020 for 2 weeks Pump Street/The Shambles junction closed – as egress from the Shambles will not be possible for this period, it too will be shut from just past its junction with Mealcheapen Street.
From 20 July 2020 for 7 weeks Pump Street closed between The Shambles and the High Street – egress from the Shambles will still be possible by turning left onto Pump Street to leave the city centre via Charles Street/City Walls Road, but not for longer HGVs and articulated vehicles.
Please note that overnight surfacing works will now take place for up to three nights from Wednesday 26 August.
Pump Street will be closed between 8pm and 5am to allow for surfacing of the carriageway. Deliveries will be unaffected outside of these times.
A majority of the works will be carried out during daylight hours; however carriageway surfacing will need to be undertaken overnight during weeks commencing 13 July and 26 August 2020.
All work will be carried out in accordance with the Highway Sector’s Site Operating Procedures with regard to the control of COVID-19. This may impact timings for the works, this page will be updated with any changes where necessary.