Safeguarding and concerns about childcare

Safeguarding and concerns about childcare

If you have concerns over the safety of any children at your childcare setting.

Safeguarding of children

If you have concerns over the safety of any children at your childcare setting, this information should be shared straight away with the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL).  If you are unaware who this is, ask. All childcare settings must have a DSL and it is part of their role to act on information to ensure children are not at risk of harm.

If you have reason to believe a child is at immediate risk of harm, contact the Police

  • telephone¬†999 or call 101 if you think a crime has been committed

If you are concerned about a member of staff working in a childcare setting, report this to the DSL. If your concern involves the DSL either speak to a manager or if there is nobody else able to deal with your concern, support can be offered by the Local Authority Designated Officer on 01905 846221

Refer to Children's Social Care

Raising a complaint about your childcare setting

If you are concerned about the quality of care given to your child, or have any health and safety issues, it is important that you tell somebody about this straight away.

Who to report concerns to:

  • the childcare setting should have its own complaints procedures, telling you what to do if you are concerned about something; you can ask your childcare setting to share their policy or explain what it means and what your rights are
  • your complaint needs to be put in writing
  • the childcare setting must investigate the complaint and respond with an outcome within 28 days
  • if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, it is important you continue to follow the policy and work with your childcare setting
  • if there is a breakdown in communication or relationship with your childcare setting, if you have not received a response to your complaint or if you feel you have not been listened to, please contact Ofsted:
Was this page useful?