Use up your milk instead of pouring it down the sink with these top tips.
High in calcium, protein and vitamin B12, milk is a common household staple. It is nutritionally beneficial and versatile but despite this, the equivalent of 5.9m glasses of milk are thrown away every day in the UK according to WRAP (Waste Resources Action Programme).
Store it right
Tips on how to store your milk properly to keep it fresher for longer:
- store in a sealed container in the fridge
- if possible store in fridge door rather than shelves as it is warmer
- store away from strong-smelling foods
- buy smaller milk sizes if you are struggling to finish before it goes off
- consider switching to filtered milk, which stays fresh for twice as long once opened
- skimmed milk lasts longer than full fat milk because of the fat content
Make friends with the freezer
Prevent waste by freezing your milk. Whole milk doesn't freeze as well as semi-skimmed due to its higher fat content, though it can still be frozen. Here are some tips when freezing milk:
- freeze as soon as possible once opened
- ensure it’s well within the ‘use by’ date
- try turning your leftover milk into ice cream
- make sure you use a suitable container as milk will expand when frozen
- all milk will turn yellow when frozen, so don’t panic
- defrost overnight in the fridge and shake well before using
- pour into mash potatoes or creamy celeriac gratin
Make a white sauce or custard
Flour, butter and milk are all you need to make a white sauce. It can be used in a wide variety of recipes and is a great way to use up large quantities of milk and leftover cheese. You could try a macaroni cheese or lasagna, how about experimenting with fish lasagna or a green vegetable version.
If you have a sweet tooth, you can use leftover milk to make custard. You can bake into a tasty Baked Fig Custard Tart.
Make panna cotta or pancakes
Simmer your leftover milk with cream, sugar and gelatine and you’ve made yourself a panna cotta.
Try out these different recipes:
- Milk and honey panna cotta with apricots
- Strawberry Jelly Panna Cottas
- Cardamom & Honey Set Lassi Recipe
Turn a spare pint of milk into an easy dinner by adding flour and making a batter mixture. Either turn your batter into a warming toad in the hole or some pancakes.