Hold mock interviews
Mock Interviews give students the chance to put their new skills into practice with business professionals in a supportive and familiar environment.
Business volunteers give students constructive feedback and discuss ways they can improve further.
These popular sessions are delivered 1-1 with a student and they help them to understand:
- Good and bad interview techniques
- Good body language
- The skills and qualities employers are looking for.
47% of students said they had increased their confidence in having a mock interview by over 50%
93% of business volunteers said they felt they had made a significant
Top tips for delivery
- it is important to put students at ease and to use prompts if they cannot answer any of the questions you ask them
- if possible, find out from teachers about any upcoming job interviews the students may have and tailor the interview accordingly
- it is also worth tailoring the level of interview difficulty depending on the year group of the student. Start with a light touch interview for years 7s and work towards a comprehensive application process including a more formal mock interview for years 12 and 13
- many employers utilise their HR teams as well as industry specialists to undertake this type of activity