Early years safeguarding
We provide a range of services to help you meet regulatory requirements and keep children safe.
Safeguarding is everyone's business
Early years and childcare practitioners are in a unique position to observe changes in a child's behaviour or appearance which give rise to concern about their well-being, and section 40 of the Childcare Act 2006 places a duty on early years providers to comply with the safeguarding and welfare requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage (DfE 2021), which states that:
‘Providers must take all necessary steps to keep children safe and well and have regard for the statutory guidance Working Together to Safeguard Children (DfE 2018). If concerns about a child's safety or welfare arise providers must notify children's social care services without delay.
We provide a range of services to help you meet regulatory requirements and keep children safe, including safeguarding training, consultancy support in the setting, supervision for DSL’s and evaluation of setting policy and practice.
For more information about these services please contact our Early Years Team: 01905 844048
Who to contact
If you are you worried that a child is suffering, or is likely to suffer, significant harm and needs immediate protection:
- contact the police on 999 if there is an immediate risk of danger
- otherwise contact the Family Front Door on 01905 822 666 from Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm (until 4:30pm on a Friday)
- out of office hours (5.00pm to 8.30am weekdays and all day weekends and bank holidays) contact the Emergency Duty team on 01905 768020
The Worcestershire Safeguarding Children Partnership (WSCP)
The WSCP has responsibility for ensuring that agencies work together effectively to safeguard and promote the welfare of all children and young people in Worcestershire.
- Safeguarding and child protection guidance for PVI EY providers September 2020 (PDF)
- Recommended DSL / Deputy DSL training pathway for the early years sector (PDF)
- Early Years Safeguarding Self Assessment tool (word)
- Childminders safeguarding self evaluation September 2023 (word)
Model templates for private, voluntary and independent early years and childcare providers
- Allegation of abuse record (Word)
- Childminder Sample Safeguarding and Child protection Policy June 2023 (Word)
- Complaint record (Word)
- Conviction determination and caution declaration form (Word)
- Individual file chronology (Word)
- Individual file front sheet (Word)
- Health declaration form (Word)
- Safeguarding lead supervision notes (Word)
- Safeguarding training record (Word)
- Safeguarding training record (Excel)
- Safer recruitment record sheet (Word)
- Safer recruitment record sheet (Excel)
- Safety and welfare concern form (Word)
- Safety and welfare concern form alternative format (Word)
- Safety and welfare concern form continuation sheet (Word)
- Transfer form for all child protection records between establishments (Word)
- Operation Encompass Early Years Safeguarding Statement (Word)
- Group settings Sample Safeguarding & Child protection policy June 2023 (Word)
Designated safeguarding leads forums
They are open to all DSL's and Deputy DSL's, are free of charge to provide updates on policy, legislation, guidance and local procedures, as well as giving you the opportunity for peer discussion
Places on the Forums are to be booked via CPD online to ensure that we do not breach health and safety at the venues used.
Notes from the Early Years Designated Safeguarding Leads Forum
To get a copy of the previous forum notes please email: EYCC@worcschildrenfirst.org.uk
Early years safeguarding review
Education Services can support early years and childcare settings to meet statutory requirements and adopt best practice by conducting a safeguarding review which will identify non-compliance and areas of weakness that need to be addressed.
We will make recommendations where appropriate and help your school to draw up an action plan to make the necessary improvements.
Education Services can help implement and facilitate management of Safeguarding within your setting by providing:
- a 33 point audit to ensure your statutory requirements are being met
- an action plan for corrective and preventative measures
- help with change improvements