This Easter, keep little ones entertained and help prevent sickness bugs with our latest activity pack starring the Easter Bunny.
Public Health in Worcestershire has put together a free fun activity pack to help remind children to keep washing their hands.
There have been lots of cases of norovirus recently. So it’s important to encourage children, and everyone else, to protect themselves and others, by frequent handwashing with soap and water. Unfortunately alcohol gel is not effective against Norovirus.
The pack is aimed at young children and includes games and crafts such as ‘design an ugly bug’, a maze and colouring in.
There’s also a game where children try to get the Easter Bunny to the giant egg whilst avoiding the ugly bugs. Think of snakes and ladders but with bunnies and bugs!
Norovirus is highly infectious and is easily spread through contact with someone with the infection or with contaminated surfaces.
The best way to protect yourself is to wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water, and dry them well. Do this after visiting the toilet, before preparing and eating food and after touching animals. As alcohol gels do not kill off norovirus, stick to soap and water where you can.
If you are unfortunate to get norovirus, there are some simple steps to stop it spreading any further, these include:
• stay at home if you have any symptoms of feeling or being sick, or if you have diarrhoea
• do not return to school or work until 48 hours after symptoms have cleared
• disinfect any surfaces or objects that could be contaminated using a bleach-based household cleaner.
• wash any contaminated clothing or bedding using detergent at 60°C, and if possible, wear disposable gloves to handle contaminated items
• don’t share towels and flannels
• avoid cooking and helping prepare meals for others until 48 hours after symptoms have stopped
Full recovery from norovirus usually takes 2 to 3 days and it’s important to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. This is particularly important for the very young, elderly or those with weakened immune systems.
You can download your Easter Activity Pack from the Council website and play the ugly bugs game.
Find out more about norovirus and how to avoid it, please visit the dedicated Norovirus pages of the NHS website.