Do you make a list before you go shopping?
You'd be surprised how many of us don't - yet a simple list, on a piece of paper or on your phone will save you time and money.
- Add food to your shopping list as it runs out.
- Think about what meals you are going to cook and buy only for those meals.
- Buy foods that can be used for several dishes such as canned tomatoes, mince, vegetables and salad.
- Look for food with the longest use by date.
- Avoid the 'Buy One Get One Free' promotions unless you can freeze your items or it is a non-perishable item such as toilet roll.
- Use the portion planner on Love Food Hate Waste (link opens in a new window) so you don't overcook.
- Pasta and rice are the two items regularly overcooked – look out for an event with the Lets Waste Less volunteers and ask for a rice/spaghetti measurer to help you cut down on the amount you cook.