Dualling from the M5 to Powick Roundabout
The A4440 Worcester Southern Link Road, is one of Worcestershire's busiest roads, accessed by over 30,000 cars each week day.
It is an essential part of Worcestershire’s strategic road network and provides an important link between the M5, South and West Worcester, Great Malvern, the wider Malvern Hills district, Ledbury, Upton and Herefordshire.
The A4440 Southern Link Road is also an important bypass to the city centre and provides one of only two road crossings of the River Severn in Worcester City.
The intention is to dual the entire length from the M5 to the Powick roundabout, this cannot be achieved in one phase , mainly due to the size of the overall scheme and the availability of funding. Therefore, the scheme is being delivered in stages.
The Department for Transport (DfT) announced in November 2017, £54.5m of funding had been secured for a new bridge and viaduct to be built between Ketch and Powick roundabouts.
Other funding partners for the overall scheme include Worcestershire County Council, Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership and Developer / Third Party contributions.
Since the railway bridge over part of the Southern Link Road was extended at the end of May 2018, work to complete the dualling between Whittington and Norton Roundabouts is underway – due to be completed early spring 2019.
Major works are then due to start on the final phase of works that will dual the road from the Ketch roundabout to the Powick roundabout. These works include construction of an additional bridge to accommodate the extra 2 lanes of traffic needed. The dualling is due to be completed in 2021, when the Southern Link Road will be fully dualled between Junction 7 of the M5 and Powick Roundabout.
What has been achieved so far
- fully dualled between Ketch and Norton roundabouts
- increased the size of Ketch and Norton roundabouts to improve capacity
- funding secured from DfT for building of the additional bridge over the river Severn between Ketch and Powick
- railway bridge extended to enable two lanes going up and two lanes going down from Whittington to Norton roundabouts
- complete the dualling between Whittington and Norton by early Spring 2019
- dualling between Ketch and Powick including the building of an additional bridge over the River Severn and viaduct