School Closures Today (Alert 1 of 5) School Closures Tomorrow (Alert 2 of 5) Paying online - issue with Chrome (Alert 3 of 5) Supporting our most vulnerable (Alert 4 of 5) All Household Recycling Centres are now closed (Alert 5 of 5)

In-Year Applications

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

As you will no doubt be aware, schools are not functioning in their normal capacity at the moment.  Where schools are open, some are not, they are there to provide childcare to the most vulnerable children as well as the children of critical key workers.

In relation to in-year applications, as is the case nationally, we may be unable to respond to your application with an outcome, until schools are fully functional again.  Please be aware we will continue to process and deal with as many applications as we are able to, but we also need to ensure you are aware we may not always be able to do so in all circumstances.

If you do still have to make an application for in-year transfer we will respond to those accordingly. 

We thank you for your patience at this time of national crisis.

Which ages and year groups does In-Year encompass?

Please see the Tier Groups by District page and find out which year group your child will be in.

How can I apply for an In-Year school place?

In the case of all applications the parent should forward the form onto the School Admissions Section. We are unable to receive postal applications at this stage but continue to receive email.  In the first instance please send all applications via email directly to this office at:

Download an In-Year Application Form

Complete the application form and ensure form is counter-signed by current headteacher (if already attending a Worcestershire School)

You need to look at the published admission criteria for each school you are placing as a preference. Sometimes you may be required to submit extra information (such as a baptism certificate or letter from your church) before your application can be considered under a particular admission criterion.

If your preference is for an Academy, Foundation, Free or Voluntary Aided school, you are advised to refer to the individual school's prospectus or contact the school direct to find out if you need to complete an additional (supplementary) form for the school as well as completing the Local Authority Common Application Form.

You may enter up to three preferences on the application form. You are not required to use all three preferences, however you should consider all schools in an area in case your application for your higher preference schools are unsuccessful. If the local authority cannot offer your child a place at your preferred schools, you will be offered the nearest school to your home address that has a place available. By including three preferences, it helps the local authority consider schools that you would find acceptable for your child.

You will be able to indicate on the application form if you would prefer your child to stay at their current school, in the event that we are unable to offer one of your preferred schools.

In the case of a child that is in care or accommodated by a Local Authority, or has previously been in care or accommodated by a Local Authority but immediately after being looked after, became subject to an adoption, a child arrangements order or special guardianship order, the child’s social worker in conjunction with the carer should also complete the Children in Care Educational Transfer Information Form and return it with the In-Year Application directly to School Admissions.

Download a Children in Care Educational Transfer Information Form

How will I know that you have received my application?

In the case of a Community or Voluntary Controlled School, the School Admissions Team will write to parents, normally within 10 school days, of the form being received to notify of the decision. In the case of Academy, Foundation, Free or Voluntary Aided School the school will write to parents to notify of the decision. Where it is not possible to offer a place, parents will be notified of the right of an appeal and in most cases, an alternative school will be offered.

What if my child lives outside Worcestershire?

In the case of a first preference for a Community or Voluntary Controlled School, the parent should forward the form onto the School Admissions Section. In the case of a first preference for an Academy, Foundation, Free or Voluntary Aided School, the parent should forward the form to the individual school. You will need to provide appropriate evidence as proof of address if applying prior to residence in the UK. For more details, please contact the School Admissions Team on telephone: 01905 822700.

Applications from UK service personnel and other Crown Servants will be considered in advance of their arrival in Worcestershire. Subject to the provision of the appropriate proof required by the School Admissions Code (proof of posting or proof of relocation date and intended address) applications will be considered up to one term in advance. Please contact the In-Year Admissions Team, if you require further clarification about how we will consider your application.

Where can I find the Worcestershire In-Year scheme?

You will find full details in  Part G, Section 7 of the 2020/2021 Information for Parents Book.

My child has a statement of educational needs, how do I apply to change their school?

Parents should contact their child's current school Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator or SEN casework officer to discuss change of school for their child.

How can my child be placed on a waiting list for a particular school?

Waiting lists for Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools are maintained by the School Admissions and Transfers Section, and parents need to apply in order to be included. For full details on how to apply please refer to Section 7.5 of the 2020/2021 Information for Parents Book.

Waiting lists for Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools are operated in line with the admissions criteria as published in Section 7.3 of the 2020/2021 Information for Parents Book. Please refer to the relevant section for full details.

Waiting lists for Academy, Foundation, Free and Voluntary Aided Schools, are maintained by the individual schools and parents will need to contact the school directly in order to be included.

You should be aware that a school waiting list is an active document. As parents request for their children to be included on the list, the position of an individual child already on the list can change. A waiting list does not give priority based simply on the date an application was added to the list.

Can I still visit a school prior to making an In-Year application?

Before making your application, we would advise you to take time to make contact with schools in your area. Find out about what happens there everyday, talk about how you could be involved, find out about how children learn and the other activities which they are involved in.   

Applications for 2020

Standard in-year applications for school places in September 2020 will be considered following the Summer 2020 half term school holiday. We would therefore advise that to ensure that your application will be considered for September, you apply mid-June. If you apply later in July and/or during the school holidays, there is no guarantee that your application will be processed in time for a September start.