The proposed Worcester Transport Strategy has been developed to identify and deal with transport infrastructure investment for the City of Worcester. This will deliver benefits locally and across the wider region, improving access and network efficiency for all users travelling into, though and/or around the City of Worcester. In particular, this investment will make Worcester more attractive to business, supporting the local and regional economy.
Bringing together the desired outcomes, issues and policy guidance, we are aware that a wide-ranging package of transport measures is required to deliver improvements to the existing network, including the following measures:
- Strategic Highway Improvements including the dualling of the Southern Link Road.
- Local Highway Improvements including junction and pavement enhancements.
- Rail station enhancements.
- The construction of a new Railway Station (Worcestershire Parkway Regional Interchange).
- Exploration of the feasibility of local railway stations.
- Enhancement of the City Centre's public realm, transport infrastructure and services.
- Improvements to infrastructure and services for walking and cycling
- Key corridor improvements to enhance the main routes into and out of the city for all users, smoothing traffic flow and reducing congestion.
- Incentivise greater use and improvement to the perception of sustainable modes (walking, cycling, passenger transport).
- Implementation of Intelligent Transport Systems to improve efficiency and choice.
Our funding bid for transport improvements in Worcester has been successful. The proposals include:
- Strategic Highways Improvements: Enhancements to the key junctions on the Worcester Southern Link Road, to improve traffic flow, particularly at peak times and reduce transport costs to businesses and road users;
- Rail Station Enhancements: This will involve investment and improvement in passenger and interchange facilities at Worcester Foregate Street and Malvern Link stations, helping to improve the quality of rail travel and encourage increased use of these under-utilised transport assets. The improvements to passenger facilities to Worcester's Foregate Street will include upgrading of signage, the ground level waiting area, information and ticketing facilities, lighting, security and improved sheltered walk links to Foregate Street and its taxi ranks and bus stops.
- Key Corridor Improvements: This will involve investment in key corridors to improve the quality of transport infrastructure and public realm along these routes. This will help to smooth traffic flows and improve conditions for all road users;
- Transport Information Systems: Measures to provide users with better, more accurate information on the transport network, with the aim of increasing network efficiency. For example, variable message signs will direct car drivers to city centre car parks which have available capacity, while public transport users will be provided with real time information on services via mobile phones and at stop/station signs.
- Improved infrastructure for walking and cycling: This would involve enhancements designed to encourage more local trips on foot and by bike. The improvements to passenger facilities to Worcester's Foregate Street will be on the ground level and include upgrading of the waiting area, signage, information, shelters, lighting and security.