Ill health retirement

If you have two years’ pensionable service and you think that an independent medical practitioner might be able to certify that you are permanently unable to do your own job, you could approach your employer about granting you an ill health retirement. Depending on your future prospects of working, you could be granted additional pensionable service and your benefits will not be reduced for being paid before normal pension age.

More information about ill health retirement is in our Guide to the LGPS.