Does my child have a special educational need?

Does my child have a special educational need?

Information on who to talk to if you think your child has a special educational need.

The SEND Code of Practice says that staff in education settings / schools should make regular assessments of progress for all children / pupils in schools and settings. This will help to identify those children who are making less than expected progress. The education setting / school should then decide if your child needs SEN support and should talk to you about this. If a young person is 16 or older the school or post 16 provider should involve the young person directly.

Sometimes you may be the first to be aware that your child has special educational needs.

If you think your child may have a special educational need or disability you should talk to:

  • your health visitor
  • your GP
  • your child's early years provider e.g. nursery or childminder
  • your child's teacher or the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo)
Was this page useful