Education, schools and colleges (SEND)

Education, schools and colleges (SEND)

Information about the help and support available in schools and colleges for children with SEND.

Are you going to Further Education College?

The following links will help to support you with leaving school and going to college

Does my child have a special educational need?

Information on who to talk to if you think your child has a special educational need.

What SEN support will my child be given?

All children with special educational needs should have additional support or help which is different to that which is generally given to other children of their age.

The SEND Graduated Response

Where a child or young person is identified as having Special Educational Needs, schools and settings should take action to remove barriers to child or young person's learning and put effective special educational provision in place.

Specialist school placements

Most children/young people with special needs go to their local mainstream setting, school or college.

Apply for a school place

Apply online for a school place, remember you need to tick the box which indicates whether your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan.

Choosing a school

Things to consider when you tell us your preferred school.

Find a school or specialist educational provision

How to choose a school and the different types of specialist educational provision.

Help with travel

Information on the different schemes available to help with travel.

Post 16 learning options for young people with SEND

There are many post 16 learning opportunities available for young people with SEND.

Resolving disagreements, mediation and complaints

These pages outline what you can do if you disagree with a decision made by a professional, regardless of whether your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan.

School transport

Find advice on getting your child to school, apply for school and college travel and find out about the review and appeals process.

SEND statutory guidance and code of practice

The SEND code of practice explains the duties of different settings to provide for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, to help them reach their full potential.

Support for children and young people with disabilities and medical difficulties

Guidance has been produced describing these responsibilities and the support that is available from the services.

What will the Local Authority consider when allocating a school place

The main factors that are considered in making the decision, about which setting your child/young person can attend.

Education support for looked after children

The Virtual School is a statutory service which exists to promote high aspirations for our children placed in care and previously looked after.

Exclusion from school

See how we work with schools, parents and pupils to reduce unnecessary pupil absences and support children's welfare in school.

Home Education

See how we work with schools, parents and pupils to reduce unnecessary pupil absences and support children's welfare in school.

Education Services

We provide education support services and training to over 1800 early years settings, schools and post-16 providers in Worcestershire and surrounding local authorities.


We are the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS) covering Herefordshire and Worcestershire.

Parent carer engagement toolkit

Engaging with parents is an everyday and important aspect of school life.

Inclusion in Educational Settings

Information on promoting and supporting Inclusion and Inclusive practice is Worcestershire’s educational settings.

SEND services

You can contact Worcestershire County Council through the methods below:

Call the SEND Services Helpline on 01905 845579

Email SEND Services on

The latest SEND Services team structure can be found here: AAD Directorate staffing (PDF).

Write to SEND Services at the following address: SEND and Vulnerable Learners, Education and Early Help, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester WR5 2NP

Was this page useful?