Worcestershire Libraries are gearing up to celebrate Libraries Week (3 and 9 October) which showcases the diverse services on offer throughout the library network.
Libraries Week is the annual showcase of the best that UK libraries of all kinds have to offer, with a focus in 2022 on celebrating the role of libraries in supporting life-long learning.
Local libraries seek to motivate their users to build skills and confidence at every stage of their lives – from generating a love of stories and reading in young children to encouraging residents to read for pleasure throughout their life. In addition, libraries provide activities which can empower people in the workplace, help to build active citizens, instil creativity or support mental health and wellbeing through shared connections.
As part of the Libraries Week programme, a wide variety of activities will be taking place, including:
- Children’s activities for all ages including, story times, bounce & rhyme, Lego clubs and craft sessions
- Business & IP Centre workshops providing free business advice, support, information for budding entrepreneurs
- Shared Connections groups including Health Walks, Knit & Natter, Film Clubs and readers groups
- Tuesday, 4 October, 7:30pm, An Evening with Kit de Waal at The Hive
- Saturday, 8 October, 10:30am to 4:00pm, Space Day at The Hive
Councillor Marcus Hart, Cabinet Member for Communities for Worcestershire County Council said, “Worcestershire Libraries are committed to supporting people across the county. These events aim to raise aspirations, improve skill levels and help people find employment. Our libraries are a valued asset within our community offering free library membership to Worcestershire residents.”
For further information on the activities taking place during Libraries Week, please visit your local library webpage Find a Library | Find a Library | Worcestershire County Council or pop in to your local library to see for yourself. For the events taking place at The Hive, visit the What’s On section of the website: What's on - The Hive (thehiveworcester.org)