Try out and test our new website!

Partners continue to support communities in Worcestershire

Published Friday, 25th February 2022

The multi-agency flood response is continuing in Worcestershire this weekend.

Earlier this week a major incident was declared in the county as water levels along the River Severn continued to rise.

On Monday the Environment Agency also issued a Severe Flood Warning due to a risk the water levels could overtop the temporary flood defence barriers in Bewdley.

Levels in Bewdley, Worcester and Upton have now peaked and are starting to recede.

Today, Worcestershire’s Tactical Co-Ordination Group (TCG), the multi-agency group who respond to local incidents, met to review the impact of the recent storms.

Chair of the TCG, Superintendent Mel Paley, said: “We have now seen the levels of the River Severn peak in all areas across the county and are starting to see the water levels subside in key locations, we have reviewed the risk and as a result have now stood down the major incident status.

“That said, there has been significant flooding across the county which has had considerable consequences for local residents, businesses and commuters. We will continue to provide a multi-agency response, working together with our partners to support our local communities as move into the recovery stages.

“As the flooding subsides, we continue to check roads for damage and debris. Work will be taking place to keep areas clear and safe and I would ask people to bear with us as we do this. Please do not risk driving through flood water and observe road closures and the signs in place restricting access; road closures are in place where the road is impassable and dangerous and you are risking your safety by driving through them.”

In Worcester, the clean-up operation began earlier today (Friday) as water levels receded. Staff from the County Council and Worcester City Council have been removing silt from roads and footpaths, and carrying out repairs to drains and potholes.

Councillor Alan Amos, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport, said: “We have worked closely with our partners throughout these floods and continue to do so as we move into the recovery phase.

“We’d just like to ask that residents are patient with us over the next few days as we clean-up of affected areas to get things back to normal.

“Roads still may be closed for safety reasons and we’d ask people not to attempt to drive through any flood waters or move any cones that are in place to keep people safe.”