Try out and test our new website! (Alert 1 of 2) Roads Closed in Worcestershire

Shining a spotlight on County Council apprentices

Phil Morgan in his graduation cap and gown Published Tuesday, 8th February 2022

This National Apprenticeship Week, the County Council want to shine a spotlight onto their own apprentices.

Phil Morgan, started at the council in June 2020 where he began his Level 7 Apprenticeship in Accounting with CIPFA.

During his final year of university, Phil had met recruiters from the council at a Careers Fair held by the university where he learned about a finance graduate apprenticeship scheme the council was offering.  He was then interviewed for the role and was successful.

Phil is one of 212 apprentices inside the council’s workforce across Worcestershire County Council, Worcestershire Children First and the school community – and this is constantly growing!

Phil originally started at the council having placements within the Service Finance and Financial Reporting teams, allowing him to experience different departments.

During his time in Financial Reporting, he secured a permanent position at the council where he now supports the Finance Business Partners preparing statutory accounts as well as a variety of other accounting tasks. Phil is still completing his apprenticeship alongside his permanent role.

Phil said: “I’d recommend doing an apprenticeship as it allows you to study towards a qualification alongside getting paid on the job experience, so you get the best of both worlds. The County Council has great support in place to help you succeed in terms of mentoring and encouraging you to connect with other apprentices and offer mutual support. The skills and behaviours you’ll learn during the apprenticeship will really help with securing permanent employment whether that is at the county council or elsewhere.”

Councillor Marc Bayliss, Cabinet Member for Economy & Skills, said: “Apprenticeships have proven popular as a way into the workforce across Worcestershire and it is great to see that trend continue within the county council. I would urge anyone struggling to decide their next steps to contact our Careers Worcs Team or attend a roadshow this Spring.”

85% of all apprentices within the council network either secure permanent roles or gain employment with other employers, with the remaining 15% going on to further full-time education, further employment, or business opportunities.

Careers Worcestershire will be hosting a series of roadshows for those aged 15-24 throughout the county within March and April between 4pm-8pm on the following dates:

  • Wednesday 2nd March, The Abbey Hotel, Malvern
  • Wednesday 9th March, The Hive, Worcester
  • Wednesday 16th March, The Abbey Hotel, Redditch
  • Wednesday 30th March, Gainsborough Hotel, Kidderminster
  • Thursday 31st March, Evesham Football Club
  • Thursday 7th April, Holiday Inn B'ham, Bromsgrove

At the Roadshows, attendees will be able to discuss their options with qualified careers advisors, explore over 300 live apprenticeship vacancies within the county, get support with applying, explore career pathways, meet employers, discover more about different industries, and much more.

If you’re unable to attend any of the roadshows and would like to speak to an advisor about your next steps, please give the team a call on 0300 666 3666 or email careersworcs@worcestershire.gov.uk