Try out and test our new website!

Information for residents concerned about the situation in Ukraine - Support for Sponsors

Register as a sponsor

To become a recognised sponsor, and to qualify for any payments and support, you must register on the Homes for Ukraine website, managed and run by the UK government.

You must be prepared:

  • to be security checked
  • for all members of your household over 16 to be checked and to have their criminal record checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
  • for your accommodation to meet basic minimum criteria
  • to be able to host for a minimum of six months

You should check with your mortgage and home insurance providers that you will not be breaking their terms and conditions. The Association of British Insurers have said:

If you are a homeowner in the UK and want to temporarily house refugees who have been displaced from the conflict in Ukraine as non-paying guests in your home, you do not need to inform your insurer and your cover will remain the same. This applies for the first 12 months of any refugees living with you, including when your policy is due for renewal. After 12 months, if any refugees are still living with you, then you should tell your insurer when you next renew your policy.

If you rent, you must have permission from the property owner/landlord, and they in turn will need to ensure that by providing permission it does not break the terms of their insurance.

Additionally, you should give careful thought to your ability:

  • to provide a safe environment
  • to cope with young people and children, if offering to host families
  • to host people who have suffered hardship and trauma

You should also consider if the location of your accommodation is suitable in terms of easy access to services, for example, public transport, schools and shops.

The UK government has published guidance for sponsors and answers to some frequently asked questions.

Request help

Here 2 help Logo Banner