Information for residents concerned about the situation in Ukraine - Support for Guests

Education and Childcare

Here 2 help Logo Banner

Click here to translate into your language

Latest government advice for moving to the UK

Education and childcare

Apply for a school place

You (or your host family) can apply for a place for your child(ren) at a school in Worcestershire once you arrive. However, we recommend that you do not rush to place a child in school, but instead allow time for children and young people to settle and recover.
School Admissions | Worcestershire County Council

The government has published guidance for families arriving from Ukraine on how to apply for a school place and childcare in England, in English and Ukrainian:
How do families arriving from Ukraine apply for a school place and childcare? / Як родинам, що приїжджають з України, подавати заяви на отримання місць у школі та допомоги з оплати послуг з догляду за дитиною?

Support for young people

The Refugee Education UK website provides advice and support to help young refugees access education.

Childcare services

You can get help with the cost of childcare depending on your circumstances. 
Childcare | Worcestershire County Council

Finding a job

You have the right to work as soon as you arrive in the UK. You need to be 18-years-old to work full time.
The UK government website provides a range of information to help you with finding a job.
If you want to talk to someone about finding work or claiming the benefits you may be entitled to, you can visit your local Jobcentre Plus. 
Jobcentre Plus Local Office Search.
For local jobs and opportunities in Worcestershire please visit Local jobs, apprenticeships and training | Worcestershire Opportunities.

Your rights and safe working

Once employed, your rights as a worker are protected by UK law.  Some rights take immediate effect, some are conditional on how long you work. The following are your employment rights which you should expect from your employer.
You are entitled to:

  • be paid the National Minimum Wage
  • rest breaks and time off work
  • paid holiday
  • an itemised payslip
  • fair and legal deductions from your wages
  • a safe working environment
  • sick pay
  • a copy of your terms and conditions

You can read more about your rights as a worker in the UK. The Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority protects vulnerable and exploited workers. They have more information about your rights in Ukrainian and Russian and have a helpline if you need to report any problems.

  • Workers rights (English)
  • Права працівників (Ukrainian)
  • ПРАВА трудящихся (Russian)

Report problems with an employer to the Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority by calling 0800 432 0804

Modern slavery

Slavery is a word for when one person obtains or forces another person to work for them against their wishes. Unfortunately, slavery does happen in the UK.
If you wish to report any concerns, call the UK Modern Slavery and Exploitation helpline on 08000 121 700 or report online. There are Ukrainian and Russian translators available. You can find more information on the Unseen website.

Accessing Public transport

For current Worcestershire County Bus Timetables 

Please visit Bus Timetables | Bus Timetables | Worcestershire County Council

National Rail | National Rail Enquiries & Tickets | Trainline

Accessing English classes in the community

For information on how to access English classes please visit Adult and family learning courses | Worcestershire County Council

Access English classes at a local college: 

Wyre Forest District 
English For Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) – Kidderminster College

Bromsgrove and Redditch District, Worcester City District 
ESOL | Heart of Worcestershire College

Wychavon District 
ESOL Speaking and Listening - Languages - WCG – Warwickshire College

Request Help