Try out and test our new website!

Information for residents concerned about the situation in Ukraine - Support for Guests

Money and support

On arrival

There is a one-off £200 payment for each guest. This will be paid directly to you by your district, city or borough council.
More information will be published here as soon as it becomes available.

Open a UK bank account

You will need this to receive money from the government – we call these ‘benefits’.
There are a range of banks, and you can choose one that suits you best. There are also online-only providers which you can use.
To open a bank account in the UK, you usually need to show proof of your identity such as a passport, immigration status, driver’s licence, or recognised identity card. You also need proof of a permanent address.
Worcestershire County Council have arrangements with HSBC and Lloyds Bank to make the process more accessible to you.
You can contact your local district council for further information and to obtain a Banking ID Letter which can be used by the branch to provide your guest with a bank account number and sort code.

Welfare support from government - benefits

Benefits are monthly payments from the state to support you with living costs, such as travel and food.
Ukrainian guests can access Universal Credit, a benefit as soon as they arrive in the UK. Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with living costs.
Apply for Universal Credit on the UK government website.
If you have questions about how Universal Credit works you can call:
0800 328 5644 to speak to Universal Credit Full Service
0800 144 8444 to speak to Citizens Advice Help to Claim
Ukrainian guests are also eligible for:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Child Disability Living Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance

Those who meet the criteria are eligible for the contributions-based Employment and Support Allowance and Jobseekers Allowance. Ukrainian nationals do not need to go through certain checks, such as the Habitual Residency Test, which will speed up any claims they make.
Visit GOV.UK to find out more and apply.
Apply for Child Benefit: CH2 Child Benefit claim form and submit this by post to the Child Benefit office (the address is included on the form).
For more information on child benefit visit the Child Benefit page or call 0300 200 3100

National Insurance number

Everyone over the age of 16 has a National Insurance number and you will need one if you are planning to work.
Apply for a National Insurance number.

Request Help

Here 2 help Logo Banner