Reading and Literacy
Enable, Discover, Imagine
Promoting and supporting a love of reading and encouraging imagination and discovery.
To support your reading experience at home, we have expanded our digital lending resources, created online digital readers groups, filmed storytime and rhyme time sessions and provided a wealth of links to trusted reading and literacy resources.
Visit our Digital Library
Download a wide range of eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines and access subscription only eResources such as Ancestry, Credo Reference, Oxford English Dictionary and Times Digital Archives. All included free with your library membership.
Join our Digital Readers Groups
- Worcestershire Digital Readers Group for Adults – A dedicated Facebook group for adult library members to share and discuss titles available to borrow from our Digital Library with borrowbox. Runs monthly.
- Worcestershire Digital Readers Group for Young Adults - A dedicated Facebook group for young adult library members aged 13-17 years to share and discuss titles available to borrow from our Digital Library with borrowbox. Runs monthly.
Watch online events to support Reading and Literacy
Visit our Digital Events page for details of online storytimes and rhyme time sessions for early years speech and language development as well as a range of on demand poetry performances and masterclasses.
Additional resources available online
A book for Children - Nosy Crow have published a FREE e-book to support children’s understanding of Coronavirus, in partnership with children’s illustrator Axel Schaffer – download Nosy Crow
- BookTrust - providing every local authority in England and Wales with free resources to support all families with pre-school children in reading together every day, and inspiring children to develop a love of books. They have launched BookTrust Home Time specifically to support families during the period of school closures.
- Reading Agency – Working with public libraries to create a world where everyone is reading their way to a better life. We inspire people to read more, encourage them to share their enjoyment of reading and celebrate the difference that reading makes to all our lives.
- National Shelf Service - The National Shelf Service is a new daily YouTube broadcast featuring book recommendations from professional librarians. Launched by CILIP and the Youth Libraries Group the daily videos will broadcast Monday to Friday at 11.00am.
- 100 Novels That Shaped Our World: Selected for the BBC by a line-up of panel of leading writers, curators and critics
- Peters: 100 books recommended for parents of children of all ages
Inclusive reading and literacy support
- Barrington Stoke: breaking down barriers to reading. Accessible dyslexia-friendly fiction
- RNIB Talking Book Service: sign up for the Royal National Institute of Blind People's (RNIB) free Talking Book by Digital Download service
- Literacy Wagoll: encouraging reading, writing and other literacy skills in the classroom and at home.
- Phonics Play: Games to help with learning phonics
- Premier League Reading Stars - available to every primary school in England and Wales, the scheme uses the Premier League and professional football clubs to inspire children aged 5-11 to learn, be active and develop important life skills (includes free lesson plans, activities and more).
- Words for Life: The National Literacy Trust’s website for parents
Reading for pleasure
- Books for Keeps: The children’s book magazine online
- Love Reading: Book reviews, recommendations and competitions
- Just Imagine: Blog posts, podcasts and reviews promoting excellence in reading and writing.
- Seven Stories, The National Centre for Children’s Books: Weekly virtual story time sessions in partnership with Andersen Press