COVID-19 (coronavirus) advice for care providers

Guidance for personal assistants


Personal protective equipment (PPE)

Direct payments (DP) recipients need to source PPE from their usual suppliers if they have one, then try the national suppliers.

You can contact the National Supply Disruption to report issues with suppliers.

If you are struggling to source PPE from your normal supply chains, national suppliers or from the national response line, and require PPE in order to fulfil caring duties, the Council has a limited supply which can be used as a last resort where DP recipients are unable to buy through suppliers and wholesalers. Please contact highlighting your current situation and PPE requirements and we will aim to assist.

Apply for coronavirus testing

Essential workers: apply for a coronavirus test (GOV.UK website, opens in a new window)

Template letters

Please note that your employer can provide confirmation to you to state that you are 'a keyworker’. This may make it quicker for you to complete shopping for you clients at supermarkets, as you can show the letter. Advice on template letters can be found by contacting:

Contingency plan

It is important for you to have a contingency plan for your care needs, if you need support to do this or have specific queries about your care and support, please contact the Adult Social Care Access Centre: - 01905 768053 - you will be redirected to the appropriate team as appropriate or email:


Letter to Direct Payment Recipients or Facilitators from Elaine Carolan 30 March 2020 (opens in a new window)