Section 184 licence application

On this page you will find information on what is Section 184 licence and the guidance documents to help you with the application form.

A Section 184 license (Highways Act 1980) requires a developer to obtain a license from the Highway Authority for the construction of a temporary vehicular access relating to a new development, which then become incorporated into a Section 278 or combined Section 278/38 Agreement.

If you would like to apply for a 184 licence, please follow these steps:

Step 1: Read our guidance documents

We have written detailed guidance documents on Section 184 licence which you may find useful:

Step 2: Apply

Download the application form

The form sets out the details and information required to enable us to process the application.

Send the application form with the required documents to: or alternatively to the following address: Section 38/278 Technician, Network Control, Worcestershire County Council, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester, WR5 2NP

Commencement on site will only be permitted when:

  • the license is signed
  • all technical details have been approved
  • all necessary fees have been paid 
  • street work permits are in place for the work


For further information regarding Section 184 licences, please email or call 01905 844053.

Related content

Request a drop kerb for private residential access