Try out and test our new website!

Section 171 consent application



On this page you find will information on what you need to know before you apply for the Section 171 consent:

Before you start your application

For your application you will need to

  • provide the documents mentioned below (please note that some of these documents may already be attached to your account if you already have an online account with us):
    • proof of public liability insurance (to the value of £5M minimum, please note it has to be the contractor's public liability insurance)
    • proof of NRSWA accreditation
      • the accreditation must be valid at the point of work
      • you need to provide a scanned image of the front and back of the NRSWA
      • all contractors must be accredited in accordance with HAUC;  all permanent reinstatements must be undertaken by accredited contractors and guaranteed as required by the reinstatement specification, i.e. all supervisors must be accredited, and each site must have one trained and accredited operative
    • any agreements with the utilities, if applicable
  • pay online or provide a purchase order number
  • have your login details in hand - if your organisation has already applied for permits or licences such as road closures, skips etc. via our online systems, your organisation should already have an account, however, if your organisation does not have yet an account, please go to create a company account page

Apply for the Section 171 consent

Please make sure you read the guidance notes as the notes will help you to submit your application and let you know what happens after. Please note that some guidance is on the form as you progress online.

Once you have submitted your application, you can track it via your dashboard based on the request ID, the location, the type of application, the work type, the road name, the town, postcode or the date the works are expected to happen.

Login to your account to start your application (opens in a new window)