A38 Bromsgrove Route Enhancement Programme (BREP)
The A38 is one of Worcestershire's most important strategic transport routes.
Users of the A38 corridor in Bromsgrove currently experience congestion and delay at key junctions, causing irregular journey times.
The need to improve the A38 corridor from Lydiate Ash (M5, Junction 4) to Hanbury Turn (junction with B4091 Hanbury Road) was identified in Worcestershire’s Fourth Local Transport Plan.
The aim of the A38 improvements is to ensure the Bromsgrove area can be ‘open for business’ by supporting economic growth. The improvement schemes include a series of junction enhancements where delay and congestion are currently experienced or where conditions are predicted to deteriorate further without intervention. They also include a range of improvements to cycling and walking routes alongside and over the A38.
The need for change
The corridor is used by a varied group of users for a wide range of purposes. Drivers use the route to link to the M5 and M42 which are part of the Strategic Road Network (SRN), as a bypass to Bromsgrove town centre and for local access.
The issues with congestion are set to get worse if nothing is done, due to additional traffic. Improvements are therefore needed on the route to support new developments in the area in addition to improving links to and from Bromsgrove town centre and railway station in order to offer good alternatives to using a car for short journeys.
Three Phases of improvement work
There are three phases of improvement works in different stages of progress.
- phase 1 work has already begun and will be completed in spring 2021 (schemes i,ii and iii)
- phase 2 has commenced in Spring 2021 (schemes 2a, 2b and 4)
- phase 3 is currently in development and will be brought forward for delivery once funding has been secured (schemes A, B, C, D E, F, 1,3,5 and 6)
The proposed Bromsgrove Route Enhancement Programme (BREP) aims to provide additional highway capacity and promote walking and cycling as an alternative, through a range of improvements along the whole corridor.
A map of the Bromsgrove Route Enhancement Programme
Bromsgrove Route Enhancement Map Information
- A – A38 / Hanbury Road
- B – A38 / Buntsford Drive / Stoke Road
- C – A38 / Stoke Road / Charford Road
- D – A38 / New Road
- E – A38 / A448
- F – A38 / Birmingham Road / M42 Junction 1
- G – A38 / Golden Cross Lane / Braces Lane
Bromsgrove Route Enhancement Programme Walking & Cycling Schemes:
- 1 – A38 Birmingham Road junction and the roundabout with the A448
- 2 – Charford Road to Harvington Road
- 3 – Harvington Road to Old Station Road
- 4 – A448 near Blackwood Road
- 5 – Fordhouse Road to Carnforth Road
- 6 – A38 and A448 Roundabout to Regents Park Road
Phase One Improvements
- i – A38 / Barley Mow Lane
- ii – A38 / M5 Junction 4
- iii – A38 / M42 Junction 1