Work is already underway on phase 1 of the improvements, which include:
- introduction of a right turn lane for southbound traffic waiting to turn into Barley Mow Lane – this element in already complete
- improvements in capacity at Junction 4 of the M5
- improvements in capacity at the Junction 1 of the M42
- Barley Mow Lane - work has been completed to introduce a dedicated right turn lane for A38 traffic wishing to turn into Barley Mow Lane
- M5 J4 - the main construction work at this location started in June 2020:
- the preparatory work included the removal of vegetation and trees before the bird nesting season on both sides of the A38 on Highway and Highways England land
- there will be replacement hedges and trees planted at the end of the project
- the main works will include the widening of both the northbound and southbound sections of the A38 Halesowen Road, to increase capacity on and off the M5 Junction 4 roundabout.
- footways will be repositioned to accommodate the wider carriageway and verges will be widened for greater visibility.
- there will be some lane restrictions and lane closures involved from the beginning of the works
- M42 J1 - the main construction works started in July 2020, and include:
- widening of both the A38 northbound exit and southbound approach to the roundabout
- a new service road for properties facing the A38 southbound, offering improved access for vehicles
Below is a map showing the location of the improvements as part of the A38 Bromsgrove Improvement Scheme. There are three parts to this scheme, improvements to Barley Mow Lane, improvements to the A38/M5 Junction 4 and A38/M42 Junction 1.
Delivered in partnership with Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership, Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership and Highways England.