School Closures Today (Alert 1 of 3) School Closures Tomorrow (Alert 2 of 3) Try out and test our new website! (Alert 3 of 3)

SEND Education Provision

Post 18 SEND provision

For young people who transition to post 18, who have special educational needs, the provision of an EHC Plan or assessment for a Plan, may be required in order for the young person to achieve their outcomes.

The Local Authority will need to consider whether still being in education or training will enable the young person to progress and achieve those outcomes and help them prepare for adulthood. 

Young people who no longer need to remain in formal education or training will not require an EHC Plan and therefore the Plan will be ceased.

When determining whether a young person aged over 18 no longer requires the special educational provision in their EHC plan, the local authority must have regard to whether the educational or training outcomes specified in the plan have been achieved.

Decisions to cease to maintain the EHCP will be based on the Annual Reviews that take place to determine whether remaining in education and training provides evidence of impact and progression. Each Young Person’s exit from an EHCP will be planned carefully to support transitions and effective preparation to adulthood.

In addition, a young person who is studying for a level 4 qualification (higher education level, such as a degree) would not be entitled to an EHC plan.

There are separate systems in place to support disabled young people in higher education, including Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs). These are non-repayable grants that assist with additional costs incurred by disabled students, you can find out more on here: Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) (opens in new window).

Further information and advice on SEND

Website: Exclusions from school

Website: GOV.UK - SEND support: easy-read guide for children and young people (external link opens in a new window)

Website: Herefordshire and Worcestershire SENDIASS (opens in new window)

Website: SEND Code of Practice

Website: SEND Local Offer Graduated Response in Education

Website: Worcestershire County Council - The Local Offer

Website: Worcestershire County Council - Disabilities