Try out and test our new website!

SEND Education Provision

What evidence do I need for an EHC assessment?

When an early years setting or school or post 16 provider makes a request for statutory assessment the Local Authority will ask for evidence from the school that a graduated response of any strategies, support or alternatives put in place for the child/young person has been continued for a reasonable period of time (and in Worcestershire this is normally** regarded as at least two terms) without success. 

The setting or school should be able to provide written evidence of the different perceptions of those involved with the child/young person, any immediate educational concerns and an overall picture of their strengths and weaknesses.

** Each case will be looked at on merit, for example, there  may be children with very significant needs for whom this is not the case. 

In your setting this could be:

  • Teacher/Tutor
  • Teaching/Early Years Assistant
  • Learning support
  • School Nurse/Health Visitor
  • School/Early Years SENDCo

The setting's or school's Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) is responsible for making sure that the steps taken to meet the needs of individual children are recorded and that these records are properly kept and available as evidence to include in an EHCP.

The Local Authority will also require evidence of input and support including details of the involvement of external professionals.

External professionals could include:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Paediatrician
  • Behaviour Support
  • Learning Support
  • Health Visitor/Health Care Professionals
  • GP
  • Umbrella Pathway
  • Pre-school Forum

Further information on the range of professionals and services your child may meet on their SEND journey

Who can ask for an EHC needs assessment?

  • parents – by writing to the local authority
  • a young person over the age of 16 but under the age of 25
  • your early years setting, school or post 16 provider but only after talking with you first.

It is always a good idea to talk to your early years setting, school or post 16 provider before asking for an EHC needs assessment as they can provide essential evidence to support your request.

Other people, such as your doctor or a health visitor, can also tell the local authority that they think your child needs an assessment.

EHC Assessment guidance and request form