Purpose of role
Social Work Team Managers lead, motivate, nurture and manage a team of Social Workers that will include experienced staff and newly qualified workers. Managers will ensure the service provided is effective, and delivering positive outcomes. They do so by managing performance and quality assurance, resources and budgets, in collaboration with others and key stakeholders.
They contribute and support the development of practice and specifically the professional development of the team they lead. They are accountable for the practice of social workers within the team they manage, and provide or ensure effective professional and practice supervision, as well as performance appraisals, takes place.
To attain this role you will
- hold a BA/BSc/MA in Social Work (or equivalent)
- be Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered
Key knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in this role
- to be able to model practice by taking professional responsibility for the provision of a high quality response service
- to hold a significant amount of experience in Social Work practice and to have shown consistency and commitment improving outcomes for children
- to be able to effectively determine priorities, assess need, and ensure safeguarding of children
- to demonstrate a strong knowledge and understanding of legislative and regulatory framework and to be able to offer support to Social Workers and newly qualified staff – including addressing practice concerns/issues
- to be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of statutory legislation, practice standards and the purpose of performance indicators
- to have had experience of supervising staff and be aware of HR policies and appraisal systems in place
- to recognise and seek ways to promote well-being for team and colleagues