Try out and test our new website!

Funding for education and work (SEND Local Offer)

Funding support for education (Disabled Students' Allowance)

If you are living in England and accessing higher education (such as at college or university) you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty e.g. dyslexia

You don't have to have an Education, Health and Care Plan to apply for a DSA.

A DSA is paid on top of your other student finance. The money helps you to pay the extra costs you may have because of your disability. It doesn't have to be repaid.

You can find out more about DSA eligibility, how to apply and what support is available on the website.

Website: .GOV.UK - Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability (opens in a new window)

Funding support for getting a job (Access to Work Fund)

The Department for Work and Pensions have an Access to Work Fund which you can use if the help you need at work is not covered by your employer making reasonable adjustments to where you work.

Website: Department for Work and Pensions - Access to Work Fund (opens in a new window)

With the Access to Work fund, you need to have a paid job, or be able to start or return to one. You can apply for:

  • help getting to and from work
  • the costs of job coach support
  • specialist equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings

The money does not have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.